Friday, May 25, 2012

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Over the past few weeks I have become ever so busy! Between struggling to figure out what's going on in Japanese class, teaching Japanese people how to spell "culture" in English class, going to meetings, making sure I don't play in the wrong key during practice with the HUE Wind Orchestra, cherry blossom viewing parties, and baking in the rice cooker, I haven't had too much time for blogging. I apologise for my prolonged absence > < 

As stated above, lots has been going on. However, before you are bombarded with a backlog of sakura photos, I want to tell you about the EARTHQUAKE we experienced the night before last. My hanging towels were moving to and fro as if a small child was inside pretending to be be a ghost; then my bookshelves, desk and clothes rack chattered together like loose teeth. It took a while to realise my body was also moving uncontrollably, shuddering and swaying with the moving earth. After hearing about Emmie chan's traumatic first hand experiences of the March 2011 Tohoku earthquake, and after the recent strong earthquakes in Ibaraki, I was a little bit nervous about all this trembling. Time passed quite slowly but I think the shaking only lasted about 40 seconds, maybe a minute. Luckily, this one was only a toddler quake. Nothing broken, just a few shocked gaijin. Some of the guys the next day even referred to the experience as "fun".  It was certainly a new experience to add the the list of 函館の経験!

The epicentre was off the east coast of Northern Japan and was recorded as a magnitude 6 in Aomori, and a magnitude 4 in Hakodate. 




( ゚д゚)ァラヤダ !




No comments:

Post a Comment