Saturday, April 14, 2012

High school blues

Survived the first week of classes! The word 自己紹介 (self- introduction) now gives me mild anxiety, but nothing went horribly wrong. The way classes are organised is very different to what I was expecting. I expected to have different classes to correspond with one skill, ie. one class for conversation, one for grammar, one for kanji, one for writing etc. However, we have seven different classes, taught by 4 different teachers, each covering most of those elements at once. I hope that I can keep up. It is clear that I am the student with the least developed language skills.

We also get to do a culture class twice a week, which starts next month. We travel to the house of another sensei and practice arts like ikebana, koto and tea ceremony!

Just a quick photo of my most prized possession here, the bicycle:


Without it, getting anywhere further than the combini would be a chore. As it's the standard cheap bicycle, it looks identical to 70% of Hakodate's total bicycles. To avoid confusion, I'm going to have to find something colourful to decorate it with! ポンポンかな。。。?




No comments:

Post a Comment