Monday, April 16, 2012

Jolly Jellyfish


After a hearty lunch of toast smeared with kimchi sauce (don't judge until you try it), I left the dorm yesterday with my bike to do some exploring. I intended to visit some markets around Nakajimacho with supposedly cheap groceries, but whatever I found there was closed, as it was a Sunday. At least I'm familiar with it now so I can go back during the week! It was still early in the afternoon and the sun was shining so I decided to ride to Motomachi for a little look. I'm not sure whether it's because it was a Sunday, or the time of year, or that everyone within a kilometre could smell gaijin, but there were very few people around. The streets were surprisingly empty. I stopped at this monument, then parked my bike over by this little bar. I'm fairly sure I was at Takataya Dori, an impressive slope lined with trees and sculpted shrubs. 


I parked near this cute bar/restaurant, Jolly Jellyfish.







 I meandered up the slope and to the right, past some Orthodox churches, temples and shrines. It was lovely.


The top of the Higashi Honganji Temple (東本願寺函館別院). 








At this point, I really wanted to take a picture of Hakodate Public Hall behind me, but there were a gaggle of Japanese tourists gawking at me from the steps. So, I turned around and started taking pictures of this green and needly tree. 




Steps, sans tourists. 


Old Public Hall (旧公会堂) was built in 1910 and is just one example of Western architectural influence in Hakodate. I think it was originally used to house government and for official administrative duties. So much pastel. I'm sure I'll be back here and then I can take a look inside. 

Lots of studying to do for class tomorrow, so じゃ ね。







No comments:

Post a Comment